Organization of Teams

I have attended college for three years now, and I feel that every time the professor mentions group project, my automatic reaction is to dread it. I feel that almost every time I work on a group project, the work is not divided evenly. Someone ends up doing more work, and someone benefits from the other person taking charge. When it comes to the final presentation or work, most projects I worked on ended up being fine, but there was still an unequal divide of work. However, when I was in LAS 122 freshman year, a class designed for James Scholars Students, I remember actually enjoying the project and having the work divided evenly. Additionally, as a member of Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity on campus, being on committees is usually quiet enjoyable and the work is divided evenly. When reflecting on group projects in my Spanish and economics class, I feel that collaborating in an effective way was hard. To start off, we were assigned to work with random people in extremely large classes with up to 1000 people. The need to create a personal connection was very low. With this, I feel that most of us did not have much respect for each other -- we saw each other as random people we were assigned to work with. With regard to what high performance teams should have, we certainly lacked a deeper sense of purpose: it was just an introduction course, which did not have much significance to those who took it as a general education requirement. Additionally, many students demonstrated their lack of importance by not contributing to the project, not answering text messages about what we should do, and eventually, me and one other person completed the whole project in fear of receiving a bad grade. High performance teams should have high accountability, but we essentially lacked any form of accountability. The professor only looked at the final project and gave every person the same grade, so if something was not complete, everyone would receive the same grade. Incentive to work on the project went down, because people assumed that someone was bound to do all the work eventually. I think that this group followed a more dysfunctional structure. With the one boss structure, one person is in charge and divides the work. One other person and I attempted to this, but since no one responded or acknowledged our attempts, it just did not function properly. In lecture we discussed how employees may act advantageously or in an immoral way because they know they can get away with it, and I think this also exemplifies that in a classroom. Fortunately, this has not been my only experience in group projects. Freshman year in the introduction to LAS for James Scholars, we had many group projects, and I worked well with these people. To start off, I think that my peers were accustomed to performing at a high level, and this workstyle was seen in our projects. In this way, we did not have a single boss: essentially every group member was a boss. Also, we were all pursuing different majors, including statistics, biology, geology, and English, so we were able to utilize our own skills that others did not have. For example, the English major did a lot of the writing, as the statistics major I did the charts and data information, and so on. This created a strong sense of collaboration. It may be seen that this in part due to the fact that most students in this class were highly motivated, but the important thing is we still had respect for each other and collaborated well. Additionally, no student did not contribute to the work because they thought the other students would certainly work. Everyone felt accountable. When serving on committees in Alpha Phi Omega, it follows the one boss style as one person chairs the committee. However, the other committee members are still motivated and do their portion of the work in my experience. In comparison to the first example, I think that intrinsic value is important. People choose to serve on the healthy lifestyle committee or environmental concerns committee; it is not a requirement. High functioning groups need a deeper sense of purpose, which those random projects in introductory courses do not have. Additionally, many people I am on the environmental concerns committee with feel very strongly about the state of our environment. This creates a bond or relationship that is more than surface level. We are all there for a clear purpose, and we know what to do to help promote eco-friendly lifestyles on campus.

Comments

  1. Please chunk your text into several paragraphs and have line space between each of those. It is more readable for me that way.

    Let me respond with some off the wall comments. I believe that freshman year at the U of I should be done differently than it currently is. Students should be put into tracks and in a track all the discussion sections and smaller self-contained classes then have the same students in them. The purpose would be for students to learn the identities of the other students in the track, just as they learn the identities of other students who live on the same floor in the dorm. Also, instructors of the different courses within a track could then compare how students are doing across the classes and better diagnose what is a general learning issue or perhaps lack of student commitment issue, for other issues that are specific to the class. If such a structure with tracks existed, I believe team projects would be more effective, because then team members would not be so remote, the way you described they are in the large lecture classes.

    I also want to make this observation, as in the previous decade, when I was still working full time, I would occasionally teach as an overload and then teach CHP classes. The students who took those classes were bright, but I don't think that's the main thing that distinguished them from the rest of the student population. On diligence however, they expected that of themselves. So their work ethic was much better than for the student population as a whole. The question is why -what produces that work ethic and for the other students can they learn it while they are in college?

    There is a related issue whether group interaction is enjoyable in itself and, if so, why that is? In the first set of examples you gave, I believe the groups were formed by the instructor assigning members. In the second set, however, there was opt into a voluntary association. In contrasting the two cases, one might predict higher team function in the latter case because of the opt in. That probably means group members are like minded on the issues which the group is concerned with.

    And then there are other issues related to maturity/immaturity which might correlate pretty strongly with gender. Can you get high group function with immature group members, even if they are like minded on group issues? Or do the students have to "grow up" first? I wish I knew the answer to those questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why it is not breaking up. I tried to create space and in my draft it says it is broken up, yet it publishes as one big paragraph.

      I agree -- this way would enable students to actually know people in the same major. As you said, instructors would also be able to gauge what students are struggling with. This would also help ensure that students are more motivated to do the work.

      Additionally, I agree with that point. Students in the honors programs are not necessarily "smarter" or more capable, but I think their overall work ethic can really give off that vibe. These students are accustomed to working hard in high school, and I think this transfers over to how they go about their college classes. I do think that other students can learn it while they are in college. For example, a good friend of mine freshman year was not very concerned with school and was more interested in partying. After a semester, she was put on academic probation, meaning if she had a GPA below a 2.0 again, she would be kicked out of the university. I think this served as a wake-up call for her, and she began to worry more about school and care about her homework. However, I am not sure if the motivation was to work hard because it is good. More or less, it was a necessary measure to ensure she could stay on campus and continue to party. But from a purely GPA perspective, hers did go up, and she was more successful.

      When people join a group because they choose to, I think it is very different from being assigned to work with people by an instructor. I know when I work with friends, I am much more understanding or open to their point of view versus people I am assigned to work with. I do not think this is a good thing, but I feel like it just happens unintentionally. Also, when I am joining an RSO voluntarily, I care about it, and put in a more genuine effort. However, I know that many students join organizations to boost their resume, so it would be interesting to see how they view the work they have to do for those groups.

      No, I do not think that maturity is purely due to gender. I have worked with immature girls and boys in the past. Yes, there are stereotypes that make people think that girls are more hard-working than boys and boys maybe more egoistic, but I think that making a judgement based on that is not an effective way to analyze high-functioning groups. However, I think that is an interesting point: if a group is filled with immature members, they may be able to complete the task well. They may have similar opinions and ways about collaborating.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Future Income Risks

Opportunism

Discipline in the Work Place